Monday, September 6, 2010

I am not a groupie

I love being brought into someone else's world, especially my husband's. I like being a part of something that I would otherwise not understand, and being able to see the world through someone else's eyes. Jarrod, my husband, has been playing guitar most of his life. And I love that it's something his whole family does. His dad also plays guitar, his older brother plays drums and his younger brother rounds it out with the bass. And they'll join together, along with some other friends sometimes, too, and form what we've affectionately dubbed the "Hughes Garage Project." 




Every year that I've known his family, they've done a show or two for a number of different events: his brother's graduation party, a fourth of July party, even a cancer benefit. And every year, I get to be "with the band."

It's funny, when I was in high school I dated a drummer and we would do a little traveling with his band. I remember one time that I made an off-handed joke about being the band's groupie, and this guy, who I didn't know, turned to me, totally serious, and was like, "You should never call yourself a 'groupie!'" And I was like, "Alright I was just kidding, but OK." So from that day forward, I stuck to "band girlfriend." Now, I've been upgraded to "band wife!"



But I like being brought into this whole musical world. I tried my hand at guitar when I was in high school and soon discovered that I have no musical propensities. Plus, I'd have to cut all of my nails off! But when the guys come together to play, I get swept away in their musical world and I feel like I'm a part of it. It's like I'm a rockstar right along side them. But it's more than that, it's being a part of Jarrod's world. I like experiencing that part of him and understanding him more by being a part of it. This is why I don't understand when couples don't enjoy doing things that the other one wants to do. Even if it's something that I really don't enjoy, I love knowing that Jarrod enjoys it. I love being a part of his world and seeing another facet of him. So I try to never complain about doing what he wants to do. And I always love being able to say, "I'm with the band."




**If you wanna come get swept away with me, the guys are playing at the Creedmoor Music Festival on September 18. Come hang out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.