Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Love Wins: Part 4

A final topic I want to touch on is the idea of letting God change your story. Bell focuses the final chapters of his book on the story of the prodigal son, but he goes and bit further and puts some more focus on the "non-prodigal" brother. Both have a story to tell. One is obviously not living right and knows he does not deserve the love of the father. The other thinks he’s doing all the right things but has been overlooked by his father. In both of these instances, the father tells a different story. He tells the “unworthy” son that he should be celebrated and that regardless of what he’s done, he’s loved and welcomed home. And he tells the “righteous” son he’s not a slave in his father’s house and is entitled to all that belongs to the father.

Both sons are living in their own hell. One is trapped in his own guilt and feels of worthlessness; the other has separated himself by his feelings of resentment towards the father for never “celebrating” him. But the father shows them both that they are worthy to be celebrated and that all he has belongs to them as well. He doesn’t change any of the facts of their stories, he simply changes the perspective, and it quickly moves from a state of "hell" to one of "heaven."

These are simply my thoughts on a series of complicated and controversial subjects and I don’t agree with everything Rob Bell says, but I think he makes some very valid points and I think his voice should be heard. God is described as being just, but he’s described as actually embodying love. I think his need for justice can be satisfied, and that has been accomplished through Jesus. But his thirst for love… I’m not sure that is so easily satisfied.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Steph-

    Appreciated your take on the book; I've been reading your posts all along, very interestedly. Don't know that I'll get to read the book, as I've got a pretty long reading list already, but sounds interesting.

    I think one thing that it's reminded me of is the really good news of the Gospel, and the fact that we're called to share that w/ everyone. The good news is, in fact, good because there's bad news - that we were dead in our sin and trespasses, that the wages of our sin is death, etc.

    My concern w/ Rob's teaching (what I've read of it through several posts on your blog and numerous others) is the idea that there still might be a chance for unbelievers after death. We just don't know, and that scares me that we might live/preach that when we're unsure. I think that we can still believe in hell, without preaching a fire and brimstone/fire insurance gospel (rather focusing on the goodness/love/attractiveness of God) and still see hundreds come into the kingdom.

    Appreciate the series! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, on both points. First of all, I think that's the main point of the book is that there is "good news." But I also think that he's clear (and I hope I was, too) that we really just don't know... we don't know what happens after we leave here. We have a glimpse, but that's all we have for now. I think Rob wanted to start a conversation, rather than preach a gospel of living without consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. Honestly, I feel like he has to do some logical/interpretive gymnastics to say we don't completely know. There are some pretty clear passages in the Word that talk about the reality of hell (which I imagine he addresses and somehow explains how they don't mean what they sound like they mean).

    I agree that a conversation can be had, but I don't know that it will change anything... what do you think a conversation like this would really change, that would be for the benefit of the church and unbelievers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll have a better perspective on good change, since you've read the book... hence the question...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I don't know that it changes a lot for those if us who already believe it's about the relationship you have. But for those who only "believe" in order to avoid hell it makes all the difference. Suddenly the focus is on NOW instead of the future and you really have to decide what/why you believe. It's also very different for those who consider Christianity to be all about judgement.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.