Monday, March 12, 2012

Poetry and Prose

I just got home from my first writing class at Wake Tech. I think I'm going to like it. It's not even so much about the class, but I think it'll be the motivation I need to get me going. Already, I'm feeling really excited about writing and I think that's what I really need. Just a push in the right direction.

The class has about 12 people in it. Some of them have actually been published before, but some others have never written in their life, but wanted to give it a try. I fall somewhere in the middle, probably more on the unexperienced side. But that's OK. I think that's right where I'd like to be.

We didn't get into too much in the first class. We did the whole introduction thing and getting to know everyone. Then we did a couple of writing exercises and read them for the class (yikes!) I've never been to big on reading my stuff in front of a crowd, but that's part of the push that I think is going to be good for me.

I'm looking forward into really getting into stuff next week. I need to keep reading my writing book, too. (So as part of my goals for this month, I had wanted to have it finished by the time I started this class. That so didn't happen!) I think it'll provide a good foundation for what we do in the class.

I want to also keep up with my writing exercises. I was doing pretty good at doing them every day before, but haven't been lately. I think that's a really important aspect. As they said in my book, if you want to be an athlete, you have to exercise and practice every day. The same goes for writing. You have to work at it every day. Plus, I have my new iPad and this gives me a good excuse to use it some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.