Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pass the nutmeg

My mom is a wonderful cook. All growing up, she always had a fabulous homemade dinner on the table when we came home from school. I'm still constantly calling her from the grocery store asking her about some ingredient or asking her how to making something.

One of my favorite dishes she makes is pork chops in a creamy mushroom sauce. Basically, it's pork chops slow cooked with cream of mushroom soup. But of course, I can no longer eat cream of mushroom soup since 1. it has cream in it, and 2. soups are thickened with either flour or cornstarch, neither of which I can have. So I decided to make my own cream of mushroom soup.

I found this recipe on food.com and it sounded simple enough.
  • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
  • 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 -3 tablespoons flour (separated)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup light cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  1. Cut the mushrooms into slices.
  2. Melt butter in large frying pan. Add in onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until onions are soft.
  3. Blend in 2 T. flour and stir.
  4. Add in the chicken broth and heat until slightly thickened while stirring frequently.
  5. Stir cream with additional 1 T. flour and seasonings. Add in cream to soup. Heat to thicken while stirring frequently.

I switched out the flour for almond flour, which seemed to work just fine. I also used some of my homemade yogurt in place of the light cream. I boiled it down probably just a little further than you're supposed to to thicken it up a little.

I have to say, it came out pretty good. I don't feel that the yogurt changed the taste much at all. And the nutmeg really set it off! That's the taste that I've really  noticed each time I've tasted it.

So I seasoned my pork chops with a little thyme and rosemary, seared them, and covered them in soup to simmer. You're supposed to let it simmer for about 3 hours to get them really tender, but I didn't have that kind of time and only let them go about and hour and a half. They were good, but would've been even better with that extra time.

Overall, big success as an SCD dish. I just had leftovers for lunch and it was just as good. I almost wanted to lick the leftover soup off the plate. Even if I wasn't on this diet, I would probably use this recipe in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.