Tuesday, November 22, 2011

So much for my good intentions

I thought I'd be ambitious with my cooking this week. Plus, crab legs were on sale and we never get to eat crab legs. But I quickly figured out why you pay so much for crab legs at a restaurant.

Well the packaging said to steam for about 3 minutes. I put about an inch or so of water and steamer basket in my pot, got it boiling and everything, and put in the crab legs. Within about a minute and a half the thing was boiling over. It was very strange, since like I said, there was only an inch or maybe 2 of water in this huge pot. But it got all bubbly and made a mess all over my stove. So I did my best to keep it steaming without continuing to make a mess.

Oh, I almost forgot, I also was heating up the butter for dipping in on of my measuring cups and the cup cracked open across the bottom and spilt melted butter all over my microwave.

Then, once we got everything cleaned up, we gave them a try. And you know what? They weren't bad! Really good, actually. Only problem was we didn't have the right tools for eating crab legs. Then once we got about halfway through, I started noticing that the meat was mushy and kind of slimy feeling. And the smell... oh my goodness, seriously the smell was as acrid as hair dye in an enclosed space. The taste was about as bad. The problem was, by the time we realized they just weren't cooked enough, we'd already broken most of them open so we really couldn't try cooking them anymore and we just had to throw them out.

I really hate wasting food. Especially nice food that I don't buy often because it's expensive. To top it all off, my house now smells like crab. I've had to windows open and candles burning hoping to get rid of it, but it's still pretty bad. Even my jacket, which I had out last night, still smells like it.

But I suppose you live and you learn. Everyone's going to make a failed meal every now and then. I'll know better if I ever decide to try again to make sure that all of them get cooked evenly. For now, I may stick with forking over the extra cash to have them professionally cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.