Saturday, June 18, 2011

When there's nothing to say

What do you say... when there's nothing to say? I've been conflicted by this question lately. To speak or not to speak? That moment when everything fades away and you realize that no matter what comes out of your mouth, it's not going to fix anything. It probably won't even help.


So by speaking, are you doing more harm than good? Words of comfort seem so small and insignificant, when all you want to do is cry and scream at the top of your lungs. But you feel so worthless staying quiet. You think, "This person has entrusted me with this information, and I can't even do anything that will make them feel even just a little bit better??" 


You can scrounge up an "I'm sorry" or a "God will see you through" or maybe just an "I love you," but even those words seem to lose their meaning. You try to put yourself in their shoes and think, "What would I want to hear right now?" But you know you can never understand what it's like to be in their position and you have no idea what (if any) words would make you feel better at all. 


I hate feeling so helpless. It's like their stuck in the bottom of a pit and your arms are just not quite long enough to reach them. Try as hard as you can, but you'll never make it. 


I wish I had some resolution for this post. That I had come to some understanding of what to say or what not to say, but I've got nothing. But know this: I'm here for you and my heart is breaking right along side of yours. And while I wish more than anything in the world that I could say something that would alleviate some pain, I don't have those words. But I'll do everything in my power to shoulder some of that hurt. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.