Tuesday, June 28, 2011

To Beka and Nate: A Toast

Sister, to you I raise up a toast
Because you’re the one I look up to the most.

You weren’t too happy when I first came to the house.
She used to pinch my cheeks, even pushed me off the couch.

But things are different now that we’re grown,
And you’re one of the best friends I have ever known.

When we were young, you always played the lead.
So Nathan, beware, that’s something she won’t likely concede.

And then came the years of Super Nintendo and bikes
Of capture-the-flag and telling Hannah to take a hike.

If you're privileged enough to sit at our family table
You'll probably think we're crazy, maybe a little unstable.

We laugh and joke and finish each other's thoughts
It drives our grandmother crazy. She says, “That's not how you were taught.”

All through my life, I’ve realized a lot
I ask, “What would Beka do… if she were in this spot?”

That's led me many places, some bad, some good.
But I know so much of who I am is because of you.

You were such a support when I was in your shoes.
No wedding planner could’ve been as good as you.

We say there's a FRIENDS reference for every part of life,
So after today “you'll never be a bride again, you'll just be someone's wife.”

Nathan, I’m glad to have you join our clan.
God knows the Lindsey crew could use another man.

And while I know you went to NC State,
I have to say “Carolina Rules!” Sorry, Nate

But now to some more serious stuff.
I’ll try not to cry, but it’s gonna be tough.

So love her, protect her and say nice things.
She loves a kind word… and a little bling.

So, Beka as you exchange your Lindsey for a Frye
Know that no one is happier for you, than I.

So once again, I raise my glass
To the best sister for which I could ask.

Here's to love and joy and a life that is great.
Here's to you, Beka and Nate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.