Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shift work

I feel all upside-down and backwards today. I'm working the nightshift, which means starting work at 2:30 in the afternoon and leaving around 11:30 tonight. I haven't done this shift in I believe over a year, so it'll be an adjustment today.

But it's been nice, too. Because I didn't have to go in early this morning, I had the opportunity to have dinner with Jarrod and my lovely cousin last night while she waited for her daughter's dance class to finish. And this morning, Jarrod and I had breakfast together before he went to work and then I cleaned up the house. It's so much easier to get things done before work, rather than after. That's always been an issue with the early morning shift. By the time I get home in the afternoon, I'm so tired that running errands and cleaning the house or going for a run sound absolutely dreadful. So I'm thankful that I was able to get some of those things out of the way today.

But now, I have to head out to work in about an hour or so, and I know it's going to be a long night. The nightshift is always interesting. It's heavy with activity the moment you walk in the door because you're having to get your nightside reporter teams assigned and out the door quickly and having to get caught up on everything going on, plus, you've got the shows coming up within 3 hours of you arriving. Then it slows down for a little while since it's after 5 and you can't make too many official calls and you're mostly dealing with spot news of the day.

The hardest part is definitely going to be the turnaround. So I'll get home around midnight tonight and I'll try to get to bed as soon as I can, but it's always hard to jump right into bed the moment you get home, no matter how late it is. Then, tomorrow, I'm just going to try to get in as early as I can, since how early I get in is directly related to how early I can leave. Also, I've taken Friday off, so it's my weekend after tomorrow. And since Jarrod is leaving for a week on Friday (I'll get into that later) tomorrow night is going to be my last chance to hang out with him before that, even though he'll probably spend most of the evening getting ready and not even home.

Well, it's getting a little late and I should probably go make some lunch before heading off to work. Hoping for a successful nightside shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sit down, stay a while. I'd love to hear from you.